Mesembryanthemum crystallinum is commonly called Ice Plant -- and with its ability to cool, hydrate, and strengthen the skin, it’s easy to see why. At first glance, Ice Plant looks like it’s coated in fresh morning dew; each leaf of Ice Plant is covered with pearl-like "bladder cells" that engorge and fill with water. This glistening “gem” of a succulent stands in stark contrast to the dry South African soil from which it grows. It’s hard to miss!
Ice Plant has a unique method of survival. Rather than deeply rooting itself into the soil to draw water from the Earth, this one-of-a-kind plant sprawls itself over the surface. When given the proper conditions, a single Ice Plant can often cover more than half a square meter of ground. Despite the harsh sun, Ice Plant is able to attract moisture from the air and retain it throughout the day. It has long been used as a natural remedy to help manage skin inflammation, dryness, and redness, but PURDORI has created a method of extracting potent concentrations of the plant’s liquid to enhance all of these natural benefits. Ice Plant is one of the best-kept secrets in skincare and it’s about to be everywhere!
Ice Plant 101: What makes it unique
Ice Plant’s ability to wick moisture from the air, store it in crystal-like droplets, and protect it from the heat and sun is a great illustration of how it can help nourish and hydrate the skin. Both geographically and biologically, Ice Plant that grows along California coastlines is very different from the unique Ice Plant that is grown and processed by PURDORI. Without getting too deep into the science (we’ll save you the bore) here is what makes Ice Plant so unique!
Though Ice Plant is quite hardy and can grow in many soil types, it thrives among sand and salty air. Whereas excess salt and little access to water would kill many other plants, the salt actually stimulates a unique set of processes that allows the plant to photosynthesize during the day, but only exchange gasses at night. This is important because otherwise, the plant would risk losing its moisture to the harsh sun. This incredible process ensures its survival and underlies many of the skin-healing and moisture-retaining benefits it can deliver to the human skin.
The content of the liquid in each droplet is unique too! Just like human skin, Ice Plant uses amino acids to collect and retain water.
- Proline: An amino acid that breaks down proteins, promotes cell turnover, and boosts skin elasticity.
- Hydroxyproline: An amino acid that promotes collagen formation.
Together with natural fruit acids, these amino acids enable Ice Plant to wick water from the air and store it in the glistening dewy water vesicles that coat each leaf.
In the harsh climates of South Africa, water is life. These clever processes make Ice Plant extremely resilient to heat and aridity. When extracted and applied to the skin, it can deliver the same gifts.
The Benefits of Ice Plant: Glowing skin and more
If the appearance of Ice Plant is any indication of how it can restore moisture to the skin, we’re in luck. Inside each “pearl” of moisture is a unique blend of carbohydrates, protein, antioxidant enzymes, tannins, triterpenes, alkaloids, and flavonoids. It’s like a complete skincare regimen in every drop! In fact, multiple studies have shown that applying Ice Plant’s liquid directly onto the skin can help your skin look and feel healthier:
- Skin Hydration: Studies have measured that when compared to untreated skin, skin that has been moisturized with Ice Plant extract showed “a significant increase of skin hydration”. Ice Plant is also very gentle and gets along with other ingredients, so it can easily be incorporated into your skincare routine.
- Reduce Dark Spots and Discoloration: Largely due to its antioxidant properties, Ice Plant is extremely effective at brightening dark spots and evening skin tone. In one particular study, levels of tyrosinase (which leads to skin oxidation) and melanin (what gives skin its pigment) were remarkably low among those who used Ice Plant extract. This suggests that Ice Plant extract can help to even skin tone and reduce dark spots and discoloration.
- Stimulate Collagen and Reduce Wrinkles: The study mentioned above also highlights that Ice Plant extract inhibits elastase (which decreases skin elasticity) and encourages collagen production. Both of these factors (decreased collagen levels and elasticity) are major contributors to wrinkle formation. All of these findings support the use of Ice Plant to help reduce the common signs of aging and keep wrinkles away.
- Reduce Photoaging Damage: Studies were done to measure antioxidant and collagen levels after sun exposure. The results showed that Ice Plant extract significantly increased antioxidant and collagen promoting genes! Since sun exposure is one of the biggest contributors to skin aging, daily use of Ice Plant may help your skin to look fresh, healthy, and young for even longer.
- Manage Acne: In addition to gently hydrating dry and irritated skin, Ice Plant’s antimicrobial effects may help to keep acne-causing bacteria at bay.
PURDORI developed a unique and highly effective extraction method that allows a potent concentration of the liquid from Ice Plants to be extracted. These pure, natural, and sustainable ingredients are leveraged with effective expert-made formulations that celebrate the gifts of Ice Plant and the beauty of your skin. PURDORI’s three one-of-a-kind formulations gently restore your skin’s health and target fine lines, discoloration, and redness.
- Preservation: Ice Plant, hyaluronic acid, and bakuchiol combine to soften the signs of aging and protect your skin from further damage.
- Illumination: A delicate balance of Ice Plant, licorice root extract (Glycyrrhiza glabra), bakuchiol, kojic acid, azelaic acid, vitamin C, and vitamin E helps nourishes the skin and promotes cell turnover to even skin tone and illuminate the skin.
- Alleviation: For irritated or red skin, this blend of Ice Plant, turmeric, Feverfew, and Vitamin K soothes the skin and eliminates inflammation to reveal soft, healthy, refreshed skin.
Discover the gifts of Ice Plant with PURODRI.